Thursday, March 10, 2011

ReUse ReCycle RePurpose

The 2 or more feet of snow we had covering the ground here in S.W. Michigan for the past several months has melted and we're seeing an occasional warmish day, not warm enough for shorts and flip flops but warm enough to get the Good Green Guru thinking about gardening and planting. I'm going to try a couple square foot gardens this year in the spot where I've been growing pots of wonderful juicy tomatos and peppers. The pots have gotten larger and more numerous over the years and the harvest grew accordingly so why not dedicate that spot to a full fledged garden bed ?

First ReUse/ RePurpose:
An old waterbed frame lurking for years in the back of the garage invention pile. Narrow it by a foot, screw it back together, paint over the white paint with a can of brown that followed me home from a garage sale last summer... perfect. Ok - it was a little short so my squares will be about 11 x 12 - sorry Mel.

Another potential garden RePurpose:
One day late last fall driving home from my Girlfriend's (more about her later - she's really special!!!)  I spied the bottom of a shipping crate 2' wide x 8' long x 6" deep on the ground near the dumpster of a local heating contractor. "Instant raised bed garden with 16 squares" my mind screamed. They said .."sure, take it.." The gloves came on, the tailgate dropped and I drove off picturing that  filled with the magic soil mix and growing some wonderful veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment